A little history on Collinsville
Photos on this page are courtesy of "Newspaper Museum in Collinsville" and Ted Wright If you are interested in visiting the Newspaper Museum, please visit the museum website for more details:
Below is a link to a more indepth article on the history of Collinsville that was written by Ted Wright, on the Oklahoma Historical Society website:
A community that had existed here had no official name until Dr. A. H. Collins, the town namesake, established a post office on May 28, 1897. Henry P. Cook was the first postmaster. Then it became known as either Collins or Collins Post Office. The name officially became Collinsville by June 1898 and it incorporated as a city in April 1899. The population in 1900 was 376. According to the United States Census Bureau, the population in 2016 was 5,606 and the city has a total area of 6.0 square miles.
The Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe, routed its railroad line from Kansas to Owasso, OK; about a mile west of Collinsville in 1899, to avoid crossing an additional stream. The town's buildings were moved on rollers to be nearer the track in 1899 and 1900.
Collinsville originally was located in Rogers County. In 1918, the residents voted to be annexed by Tulsa County, in order to be nearer a county seat. It was only 20 miles north of Tulsa.
An abundant supply of sulfur-free coal lay near the surface, which attracted fifteen hundred to two thousand miners. Oil and gas production and zinc smelting boomed briefly during the first two decades of the 20th Century. The local population swelled to around eight thousand people. But the population swiftly declined as these businesses ceased. By 1930, there were 2,249 residents. Since the 1920s, the economy has been based primarily on agriculture. Several dairies located in Collinsville, many delivering products to Tulsa. In 1948, Oklahoma Agricultural and Mechanical University (now Oklahoma State University) named Collinsville "the Dairy Capital of Oklahoma".
The newspaper published in 1899 was "The Collinsville News"...there were other Collinsville newspapers like the Collinsville Times & Collinsville Star in various years...and Herald many years later...but the News lasted ~ 115years...at one time it was Tulsa County's oldest newspaper but it no longer exsists.
The current day "Collinsville Times Star" is published by Bill Johnston.
1126 W Main St. Collinsville, OK 74021 918-371-5530